If you know me, it’s no secret that I’m a fan of roasting chicken with lemon. This is mainly because of the delicious smells that emit from my oven and fill my apartment. I simply can’t get enough. Thank goodness it only takes an hour to cook – any longer would be torture!
I borrowed/adapted this recipe from here, and I have to say – it literally couldn’t be easier. Chop up the veggies, throw it all in a baking pan, and roast until it looks awesome. I serve it up with some rice or pasta, and let the delicious juices serve as a sauce.
Also, as a side note, please notice the quality of my pictures this time around. Do they look good or what?! This is the first time I’ve been able to cook during the day, and the experts aren’t lying when they say natural light is best. I usually cook in the dead of night, but going forward my Sunday afternoons will be spent in the kitchen, as opposed to the bar, where you’ll usually find me taking advantage of all the Bloody Mary deals in town.
Here’s the ingredient list – nothing fancy. Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, red pepper flakes, olive oil, sugar, sweet onion, garlic, orange(s), lemons, chicken. If you want to add more herbs, more power to you. Next time I might try some rosemary and thyme.
Slice it all up. Next time I will use 2 oranges instead of 1, since they were so delicious to eat with the chicken. But the lemon slices? Not so much. Sorry lemons, but you’re only for flavor and garnish.
Now that washing chicken is no longer cool, feel free to just pat them dry, and add them into the pan. Drizzle the marinade over, and give each piece of chicken a good rub to make sure they’re covered. I always feel a little awkward touching chicken in this manner, but it must be done. Spread out the onion, orange and lemon slices.
Citrus + Herb Roasted Chicken
Serves 4-5, cook time 1 hour 15 min
- 8-10 pieces of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 lemons – 1 juiced, 1 sliced
- 1 (make it 2) oranges – 1 juiced, 1 sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, red pepper flakes and salt + pepper. Take care to remove all the lemon and orange seeds.
- Place the chicken parts in a rimmed baking pan, spread out evenly. Drizzle the marinade all over, and rub into the chicken, making sure to coat each piece.
- Scatter the lemon, orange and onion slices in and around the chicken pieces.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes, until chicken and citrus are blackened.
- Remove half the juices, garnish with any other fresh herb you’d like, and serve hot over rice or pasta.