I found this gem of a recipe years and years ago on a really nice food blog called Ceramic Canvas, which sadly no longer exists. I didn’t have the recipe memorized, and couldn’t find it online anywhere, so I thought it was gone forever. This made me very sad because it is by far one of the most successful recipes I’ve ever made–people inhale it. The other day I was going through some old notebooks, and I came across the ingredients scribbled on a spare piece of paper. Jackpot!
Ingredient list: 2 lbs of chicken breast trimmed and cut into long, thin strips, canola oil, salt/pepper, sesame oil, corn starch, Chinese 5 spice, red pepper flakes, oregano, limes, jalapenos and 2 egg whites.
Mix up the egg whites, sesame oil, corn starch, spices and a dash of salt/pepper until it forms a brownish liquid. Pour it over the raw chicken, and mix it up until each strip of chicken is evenly covered. It doesn’t look like much right now, but just wait.
If you don’t have a deep fryer, a wok will do. When the canola oil is extremely hot, add in the chicken strips in batches using tongs, about 5 at a time. Keep moving them around so they don’t stick to the bottom or each other. When the chicken turns a light golden brown, after about 3-5 minutes, take it out of the oil and set on paper towels. It will turn a slightly darker color a minute or so after you take it out.
Add the cooked chicken, a cut up jalapeno and a lime cut into eighths into a large bowl and toss for a couple minutes, until the outside of the chicken has absorbed the lime and jalapeno flavor. If you aren’t a fan of spice, remove the jalapeno seeds before this step.
Prepare the guacamole, to be used as a dipping sauce. Click here for my guacamole recipe.
Jalapeno Lime Fried Chicken
Serves 3-4, cook time half hour
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into long, thin strips
- 2 egg whites
- 1.5 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice
- 1.5 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 limes, 1 cut into eighths, 1 for garnish
- 2 jalapenos, 1 cut into eighths, 1 for garnish
- Guacamole for dipping
- Combine the egg whites, sesame oil, Chinese 5 spice, oregano, red pepper flakes, corn starch and a dash of salt and pepper in a medium bowl until it turns into a brown liquid.
- Add in the raw chicken strips and stir until each piece of chicken is evenly covered in the brown mixture.
- Pour 2 cups of canola oil into a wok, and turn the burner on high heat. Once the oil is ready for frying, add the chicken in batches (about 5 at a time). Make sure to keep moving them around to keep them from sticking to the bottom or each other. When they turn a light brown color, remove them from the oil and set them on paper towels.
- When all the chicken has been fried, pour them in a large bowl, along with the cut up jalapeno and lime. Toss the contents for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken has absorbed the lime and jalapeno flavors.
- Serve with lime slices and guacamole.