Tacos are so delicious that, if you ask me, I believe they should be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Today’s recipe covers the breakfast taco. These tacos are quick and simple to whip up, and are bursting with flavor…but not too much flavor for the AM.
While I eat a lot of Mexican food, I created this recipe on my own so I have no idea if it’s authentic. I made a trip to the Mexican market this time though, so perhaps it is more authentic than previous attempts. If you are Mexican or a Mexican food expert – please weigh in!
Start by sauteing the sliced onions in a drizzle of olive oil for a couple minutes. Then add in both sleeves of the raw chorizo. Break up the sausage and saute until it becomes crumbly. Drain the chorizo as best you can – this step is important. If you don’t drain as much grease as you can, you’ll end up with a very drippy taco.
Add the drained chorizo back into the pan and crack in 6 eggs. On high heat, let them scramble and mix with the meat.
The finished chorizo egg mixture – cook until the eggs are dry and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Makes 6 tacos, cook time 20 minutes
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sleeves raw chorizo sausage
- 6 large eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 package small tortillas (I used flour)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 package queso blanco cheese, crumbled
- In a large pan, saute the onions in olive oil on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add in both sleeves of the raw chorizo. Break up the sausage and saute until it becomes crumbled and cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the grease from the cooked chorizo using a strainer and paper towels. Don’t skip this step – otherwise there will be grease everywhere.
- Add the chorizo and onion mixture back into the pan. Crack 6 eggs and stir until the yolks are broken up. Cook over high heat until the eggs are dry and cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Steam the tortillas by wetting your hands and rubbing both sides of each tortilla. Microwave for 20 seconds.
- Put it all together! Start with a tortilla, add the chorizo and eggs, then salsa, cheese, avocado slices and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.